If you or your spouse is a parent in the military, calculating the appropriate child support becomes a challenge. We’ve broken down a few key points to help you determine the proper amount of child support for military personnel.
How to File for Child Support in the Military
You must file through the Colorado Office of Economic Security. You will pay a $20 non-refundable application fee. The best way to handle this long and confusing process is to utilize a Denver child support lawyer. Thomas Ramunda has years’ of experience working with families in the military and can help you navigate the red tape.
Child Support Rates for Military
Each situation is unique when it comes to child support for military in Colorado. Rates are determined by benefits, military retirement, and other factors. That’s why it is vital to speak with the best divorce lawyer in Colorado Springs before proceeding further with a child support application.
How is Child Support Calculated for Military?
Each branch of the military defines different rules and regulations when it comes to both alimony and child support. That’s why you need to have Thomas Ramunda navigating the process for you. To start, you won’t want to use an income tax return, because that doesn’t offer a true picture of the earnings. Instead, you need the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), which resembles a pay stub but provides more detail. This shows basic pay and all the other allowances that factor into the earnings.
Is Child Support Calculated on Gross or Net?
Child support is always calculated on the gross income. If the parent is in the military, then the BAS and BAH are also included in that amount. VA benefits are taxable but also included as income. Parents who aren’t working aren’t excluded from the equation. As of 2019, they would receive the same earnings inputted as if they worked a minimum wage job, which equals $1,924 monthly.
Does Military Pay Child Support?
The military doesn’t handle the child support payments of its members automatically. The Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS) does allow military parents to sign up for voluntary allotment, which automatically withdraws the amount to cover child support.
What Military Pay is Included in Child Support?
Even though the IRS excludes housing and food allowances for military members, child support guidelines include them. That’s why you want to have the Leave and Earnings Statement handy when attempting to figure out the appropriate child support payments.
Does a Second Job Affect Child Support?
Colorado doesn’t believe that overtime hours or second jobs should count against a person looking to take the initiative. That’s why these amounts typically are not included in the Colorado support calculation.
Will Child Support Increase if I Make More Money?
Any time that a promotion or raise is involved, a suit can be filed as long as the amount received would increase by at least 10 percent. A modification can also be requested if the cost of raising the children has increased. This happens when additional medical or childcare expenses are created.
Is BAH Used to Calculate Child Support?
Calculating child support always involves using the housing allowance. The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is the military housing allowance. This nontaxable amount is paid directly to any service member that doesn’t live in government-funded housing. This allowance, along with the pay, are both used to calculate child support.
Is There a Maximum Percentage of Child Support?
To determine the appropriate price for each parent, a percentage is used based on income. For example, if the income between the two is $10,000 monthly and Parent A receives $4,000 of that income, that spouse is responsible for 40% of the care while the other handles 60%. For families earning more than $20,000 a month, the amount can exceed the Schedule of Basic Child Support Obligations guidelines.
I am seeking a…..
Child support lawyer in Colorado
If you need help with your Denver, Colorado child support, you must call Thomas Ramunda at South Denver Law. He has two convenient office locations, including 19590 E. Mainstreet, Suite 103, Parker, CO 80138 (Parker/Main Office), and 4610 Ulster Street, Suite 150, Denver, Colorado 80237 (Denver Tech Center). Don’t attempt to navigate child support in Parker, Colorado alone.
Child support lawyer in Parker
Thomas Ramunda is a reputable and experienced lawyer for your Denver, Colorado child support. Visit us at either 19590 E. Mainstreet, Suite 103, Parker, CO 80138 (Parker/Main Office) or 4610 Ulster Street, Suite 150, Denver, Colorado 80237 (Denver Tech Center).
Child support lawyer in Colorado Springs
When you need the best child support lawyer in Colorado Springs, look no further than Thomas Ramunda. With many years of experience working with military families just like yourself, he knows how to meet the needs of all parties for an amicable solution.